Friday, October 15, 2010

*Featured Fridays Erica*




Relaxed



1. How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for 2years this month! :) 

2. What made you decide to go natural?
My hair was over-processed, and beginning to break off from all the chemicals... So, my stylist suggested that I go natural. I was really skeptical about the transition. I've been getting relaxers and going to the hair salon since age 10, I wasn't sure if I would be able to maintain my own hair.  It was obvious my hair wasn't taking to the chemicals very well, I just never looked at natural as an option. After a few more sessions with my stylist, on I decided to to let the chemicals go!

3. How long did you transition and what was your routine?
Start of Transition
The relaxer grew out of my hair fairly quickly, so the transition did not take long at all. During the transition I mostly kept braids for 2 to 2 1/2 months and went to the salon biweekly in between. That regimen worked great, and by that summer (I went natural the sept. before) I was relaxer free.  

4. How did you BC? Self BC, salon or a friend/family member?
My salon stylist was very supportive. I first thought that you had to chop all your hair off to go natural, and that is not always the case. My stylist just kept my ends trimmed, when I was out of braids, she kept my hair conditioned, and showed me how to take care of it on my own.

5. Do you have any hair goals?
My one hair goal was to become natural, and not go back to those awful relaxers.. and I did it! Now, I want to help and be supportive of anyone thinking of becoming natural, or who is in the process. Many women think relaxer is the key to beautiful hair... and that is far from true.. Look at all of us on this blog...we have beautiful, HEALTHY hair. 

Transitioning
6. Whats your favorite natural hairstyle ad how do you achieve it?
I am still experimenting with different styles. My latest has been the curly look with the Kinky Curly line of products. Only a daily basis, I mostly wear it straight.

7. How did your perception of beauty change once you went natural?

2 Years Natural
I grew up in middle school and high school with the mind set that to have beauty is to have a relaxer.. So definitely my perception has changed. Beauty comes in different types of forms, and I am embracing all them naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment