Friday, June 25, 2010

Hair journal entry #1

I have been keeping a hair journal since I became natural and I wanted to share some of the entries with you. Let me know in the comments if you like this type of post or not and remember suggestions are always welcomed :)


Journal entry #1

6/17/10


I think I'm getting used to the hair but I need to find more styles for it. I think its actually growing and its becoming softer and more manageable. I'm learning more about my hair and myself and I am enjoying the experience. Surprisingly people don't respond to me much differently now that I am natural. I mean some do but those people are not that important lol. I'm even more surprised by the way men have responded to me. I have been approached by better quality men since I cut my hair. Not only more attractive but more educated and usually having a job. I can't say I'm not happy about that. I am no longer hit on by the hood rats down the street. They no longer find me attractive which is good because the feeling is mutual.


For some reason I thought I would be on a guy hiatus once I cut my hair. I thought they would be scared away. But I was wrong. I was expecting myself to be less feminine and thinking that I would have to over compensate by dressing more feminine or wearing make up. I haven't had to do any of these things. I'm so thankful. My confidence has truly sky rocketed since I chopped my hair. I would do it over and over again if I had the chance. I no longer feel fake. I no longer feel like I'm hiding and when someone looks at me they truly see me. Sometimes vulnerability is a good thing :)

7 comments:

  1. I def think my hair gets softer and more easy to deal with as I proceed with my journey. I think my hair has been the same the whole time but I've become knowledgeable and better at giving it what it likes.

    I thought the same thing about guys and natural hair at first but I had the same experience as you. I think natural hair exudes a self-confidence that can be intimidating to some people. That's fine with me though because I'm not interested in people who are intimidated my me.

    I def noticed tho confidence too. Ohh and going natural has def made me more vain. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You are a hot mess but I love you and I'm glad that crack heads no longer follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) yes I am a hott mess. I love u 2 and am even more glad about the lack of crackheads in my love life lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. NaturalBeauty,

    I love how you said, "I was expecting myself to be less feminine and thinking that I would have to over compensate by dressing more feminine or wearing make up" but in actuality that wasn't the case. Men, the better quality anyway, see going natural as not only embracing femininity, but also embracing self (your culture and dignity). It express the statement "I don't need to be altered by man, woman, or society to be beautiful; I am beautiful the way I am".

    "The Chop-Chop" truly speaks to your self esteem, teaching America that black & curly is just as beautiful as blond and straight. Furthermore, It makes a bold statement that begins to reverse the self-hatred epidemic amongst Black Americans: "Black is beautiful at its purest form. We need not be, manipulated, fixed, or assimilated. We are beautiful just the way we are."

    That's what I see when I see a black woman with her natural roots, and her heritage flaunted like a scarf who's beauty glides through the wind, captivating all gaze upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I can't say I'm not happy about that. I am no longer hit on by the crack heads down the street. They no longer find me attractive which is good because the feeling is mutual."

    LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good post. I agree with Dion word for word. We are all beautiful the way we are.

    ReplyDelete