Friday, September 3, 2010

Featured Fridays *Tara*


1. How long have you been natural?

I have only been natural for two weeks! I’m very “newly natural”. :)

2. What made you decide to go natural?

Many reasons! I’ve had relaxers for most of my life – since third
grade! It’s been so long that I had previously forgotten what my
natural hair texture was, especially since before my relaxers, my hair
was often pressed and curled. I was intensely curious about what my
natural hair would be like, so I decided to find out.

I also looked forward to what I thought was a more low-maintenance way
of keeping my hair. While it’s a new challenge to learn how to style
and care for my natural hair, it’s a huge relief not to run and hide
at the first sign of water!

I’ve also never enjoyed getting relaxers – to me, the process was
downright excruciating, so it was a relief to never have to get them
ever again!


relaxed


3. How long did you transition and what was your routine?

I planned to be a long-term transitioner at first – I was so attached
to my hair that I planned to cut it, inch by inch, until I had grown
my natural hair to approximately the same length. I should have
figured that wouldn’t cut it because I tend to be extremely impulsive.
I ended up transitioning for about six months.

My routine was pretty simple: I moisturized with coconut oil and olive
oil. For two of the months, I had braids. When it came to washing, I
left it to my stylist because I was afraid too much manipulation would
cause breakage at the line of demarcation. About a third of my
transition time was spent wearing braids. I planned to wear braids for
longer, but I got too impatient!

4. How did you BC? Self BC, salon or a friend/family member?

I went to my regular hairstylist. It was amazing watching her cut off
my hair. I thought I would be highly upset, but I was really just
excited! I also thought I would have a rough transition period as I
got used to having short hair for the first time, but I loved it
immediately!
Transitioning


5. Do you have any hair goals?

At this point I don’t have any goals, at least not in terms of growth.
I want to learn how to style and care for my natural hair and I’ll be
happy with whatever happens!

6. What’s your favorite natural hairstyle ad how do you achieve it?

At this point, I’m still mastering the wash-n-go. But honestly, I love
playing with my hair and seeing what it does – every day is a new
learning experience. I couldn’t be more excited!

7. How did your perception of beauty change once you went natural?

I have admired natural hair for a very long time – I just didn’t have
the bravery necessary to cut my own hair. However, I think I have an
even deeper appreciation for natural hair and it makes the glaring
lack of diversity in media representation a whole lot more jarring. I
make sure to compliment the fly naturals I see on the street for some
positive reinforcement. :)

Finally Natural :)
Check out Taras blog at http://xoxotara.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment