Friday, September 24, 2010

Featured Friday *Jade*






1. How long have you been natural?
I BCed in January 2010. So 9 months.

2. What made you decide to go natural?
A.      I didn’t enjoy getting relaxers.
B.      I don’t find straight hair attractive.
C.      I didn’t want to be a slave to my hairdresser every couple of weeks for
the rest of eternity.
D.      The chemicals in a relaxer are NASTY and probably carcinogenic.
E.      I wanted to show people that long, straight hair isn’t what made me
beautiful. It’s my eyes, my lips, my nose, my voice, my smile. Hair is
just meant to frame my most beautiful features.

  

3. How long did you transition and what was your routine?
About 9 months. Well I heat damaged some of my new growth. Then I tried a
weave for the first time in my life, but that caused major breakage.
Eventually I grew some cojones and bit the bullet.

4. How did you BC? Self BC, salon or a friend/family member?
I went to my scissor happy stylist at his salon. And he’s clueless about
natural hair. He didn’t detangle properly, used too much heat on my virgin
hair, and he threw some alcohol based gel on my head, thinking he was
doing me a favor by giving me crunchy helmet hair.  But I smiled and
tipped and conditioned and moisturized my hair properly that night.



5. Do you have any hair goals?
Yeah, I want to be able to hide a kitten in my ‘fro. And block people from
seeing the dry-erase board in class.

6. Whats your favorite natural hairstyle and how do you achieve it?
I like making a frohawk out of an old twist out. I just pin up the sides
and walk out the door.







7. How did your perception of beauty change once you went natural?
       It didn’t. I’ve always liked highly textured hair. I was just a sheep and
wanted to fit in when I got a relaxer. But I quickly exhausted the few
manipulations you can do with relaxed hair, and ended up with my hair
hanging limply around my face or thrown into a ponytail. I looked boring.
Now my hair reflects who I am: brave, gravity-defying, confident, sweetly
scented, earthy, creative, flexible, and though people think I’m hard,
I’m just a big softy.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Jade,

    I'm proud of you for embracing your natural hair! Real hair, natural hair is always beautiful! It's our society that can't or won't accept our real hair because they mistakenly believe that European hair is the basis for beauty. Stay yourself and love your hair the way it grows... NATURAL! (Aunt Donna)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jade: This is awesome! Great job. Love you.
    Granny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you for being so confident to do something that makes you happy and feels good. You're very beautiful ...inside and out :0). Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jade,
    You are so blessed to have such supportive family members in your life. Your hair is beautiful and I can't wait to feature you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jade, you are beautiful inside and out, long hair, short hair, straight, kinky........whatever. Keep it up! Thanks for inspiring an old lady! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jade,
    It's your cousin-in-law Toyette. Congrats!! We decided at the same time to go Natural. I transitioned a little longer since my BC was in May. I love your fro hawk. I'll have to try that too. Keep it going!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jade,
    I'm Kaira's Mom and you are truly beautiful like your Mom and Grandmom! I have been natural for about ten years. First a short natural and then hook-latched permanent locks. I cut all 185 of them of in Vegas but now back in Michigan I am back with my locks only this time really natural with no color-they say the gray looks good. I think when you're natural, it can beauty that lasts a lifetime

    ReplyDelete