Friday, July 16, 2010

Featured Fridays *Tosin*

Every Friday I will be featuring a natural lady or pictures of natural hair inspirations. My First Natural lady to be featured on my blog is Tosin.

1. How long have you been natural?


I've been natural now for about 8 months now, I bced on November 15 and stopped perming about 3 weeks prior.




2. What made you decide to go natural?

I was just sick of my hair being so unhealthy! The nape of my head was pretty much gone, the strands were so weak and brittle, and no matter what I did strands of hair would fall out ceaselessly! I was also tired of spending so much money only to further damage my hair, 50-80 bucks a month for relaxers is just ridiculous. So I decided one night enough was enough and cut everything off the next day...yes I am that impulsive!



3. How long did you transition and what was your routine?

I transitioned for about 3 weeks, not really so long. I had no intention of going natural before the night I decided to do it. Which was the day before I actually did it (if that makes sense).



4. How did you BC? Self BC, salon or a friend/family member?

I went to the salon for my BC. Specifically because I was concerned about everything being even. I didn't care for styling or any of that or I would've done it myself.



5. How did your perception of beauty change once you went natural?

SOOOOO MUCH! I used to be one of those women who thought natural hair was so unattractive, unruly, and unkept. I always wondered why people went natural because it just seemed like so much work only to look as though you belonged on a plantation. I used to be obsessed with having smooth sleeked-back hair and edges. And when my edges went array, I did everything to hide them. I don't completely blame myself for my ignorance because I live in a society and grew up in a family where natural hair isn't widely accepted. It is looked down upon and shunned. Even when I BCed, I had no full intention of staying natural. I just figured I'd grow my hair to a reasonable length and start relaxing it again (just sad). It was when I realized what I was doing that I decided to change my entire way of thinking. I was rejecting the hair I was born with, the hair God gave me to love and care for simply because society didn't like it. I never saw myself as a conformist, I always thought I was different, unique from the pack. But the way I felt about my hair made me realize how much of a hypocrite I really was. Beauty is more beautiful when it is natural; without make-up, without waxing and plucking, and most of all without those yucky chemicals.

My hair has never felt so healthy!! And it shocked me one day when I realized I literally went 18 years (yes I started relaxing when I was 2 years old, smh) without seeing what my real hair looked like. That is just unspeakable! Some may say, "well it's just hair," and while it may be, you must also understand it is a part of you. So when you try to hide it or reject it or ridicule it...you are doing so to a part of you. I am the first person to go natural within my familial circle...but hopefully I'm not the last! It is a movement I have fully embraced and want to share with all my fellow beautiful black females.


Picture 1- 1 day natural
Picture 2- Braid out
Picture 3- Braids 7 1/2 months natural
Picture 4-  afro 6 months natural
Picture 5- fro hawk and flat twist

Tosin and her hair are beautiful. She was one of my inspirations when deciding to go natural:)


No comments:

Post a Comment