Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Have you been Humbled

Going natural brings about obvious physical change but does it entail any mental change. I know how my attitude was before I went natural. I was very focused on the way I and the people I surrounded myself with appeared physically. I would not even entertain someone if I felt they were not physically up to par. I was very focused on looks yet I did not consider myself shallow.

As I got older and started college I was less shallow and more open to people that were different than me but I didn't completely change. I was still shallow in certain situations. I would still see girls and think I was better looking than them so I could treat them a certain way. I was still acting out on the mindset I had in high school though I was in college.

I took so much pride in the way I looked especially my hair. I spent hours on it every Sunday. It was a ritual to me. Not only because I cared about the way I looked but bc my value came from it. I thought as long as my hair was on point my attitude did not matter. I could be as loud, rude and ghetto as I wanted and people would overlook it bc I was a 'pretty' girl. Not to say I was those things all the time but I was those things more often than I should have been. But cutting my hair changed that.

Once I cut my hair I changed. I realized people would judge me by my appearance. I could no longer get away with things bc of my appearance bc I knew I would have my bad days. I could no longer have a stank attitude bc if I didn't look cute ( by societies standards)  and had a bad attitude no one would want to be around any of that. I became less judgemental of people. I made friends who earlier in my life I would not have talked 2. I started seeing the inside of people and the inside of myself. I started to like what I saw. People told me I was nicer, more patient and more pleasant to be around. Not only did I gain a new look but I gained a new sense of self worth and a better attitude.  I was truly humbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment