Monday, July 12, 2010

The Kinky Curly Coily Debate

Something I didn't prepare for when going natural were divisions between texture types. Call me naïve but I thought there was a sisterhood between us natural ladies. I thought we had an understanding. I thought we would exchange encouraging words and looks of admiration. Instead I have gotten the side eye, nose in the air my hair is better than yours attitude. This hate has come predominantly from the curly girls.




I am not a huge fan of hair texture typing. I can find beauty in any hair textures as long as they are sporting healthy strands. My hair is a mix of kinky coily curly with 4a/b & 3c hair and a few random straight hairs. My hair is beautiful. I actually prefer my hair coily or kinky over curly. I often pick my hair out in order to prevent my hair from forming a curly puff. I don’t know but right now I’m loving my highly textures mane.



I wish the hate would stop ladies. Going natural is already hard enough without the stank attitude that some looser textured ladies give off. Don’t get me wrong. I will rock my kinky coily curly straight hair regardless of your hate or bad attitude. I just find the hate so unexpected since going natural is like saying “society’s standard of beauty does not affect me”. This all stems from the naturally savage competition between women (especially black women). Just like some women will look at you and think I am better than you because my hair is longer, curls are softer, skin is more clear, or body is better… This explains why many black women are running to the creamy crack. God forbid they wear their naps.



I am not completely innocent in this. I have looked at another woman and thought I was better than her because of the way I looked. I was a mean girl in high school. My friends straight up called me Regina George. I would often ignore girls who were not pretty enough, did not dress well enough or did not have it (don’t ask me what it is). I was a B but I have changed my ways. Instead of only finding beauty in those that look like me I find beauty in women.



Women, we are one of Gods most beautiful creations. We are strong, sweet, beautiful and alluring. The softness of our faces, the curves of our bodies, the sassiness in our stance, we are beautiful regardless of hair texture:)

No comments:

Post a Comment